Friday, August 15, 2014

On Eagles Wings

Today, I was asked by a coworker to write out some passages from Psalm 91 as a gift to a patient she has on her unit.  He's scheduled to be discharged and he's scared to go home because he's afraid he'll fall again.  She asked me to do the writing because she said that she knows I'm (and I quote) "an artist".  Apparently if you write "Welcome" and "Goodbye" on patient cups (as well as doodle occasionally on them for certain holidays) word gets out that you're "an artist".  LOL!  But I digress...

Using her bible as a guide, I wrote out some passages about the protection that God provides to those in need.  As I was reading the Psalm I realized that it's the one that "On Eagles Wings" (a song we sang in church occasionally - when I attended Catholic church) is based.

After I finished, and she was happy with the results, I looked up the lyrics to "On Eagles Wings", just to be sure I was right about it being the song based on what I was reading/copying from the bible.  It was, and reading the lyrics again, after all these years brought back the pain of losing my friend 12 years ago, at the age of 26.  We sang the song at the end of his funeral as the casket was taken from the church.  I can still recall it as if I were standing in the church now - and it makes me cry.  I guess I still miss my friend...

No comments: